Saturday, March 26, 2016

Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon 

Hey all!
I just finished reading Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon! 
One word: ADORABLE

Goodreads Blurb: 


"My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.






Ok first off - I didn’t know what to expect - I wanted to read it when I saw it on Netgalley, and when I saw the hard copy at my bookstore I just thought ‘why not?’. I’ve been in the mood for a contemporary practically since I got halfway through Glass Sword, and this seemed like a good choice. 
To be honest, my brother was asking me what the main character was allergic to. I read the first chapter to find out, and it got me hooked. I finished Glass sword and picked it up immediately. 

The book is an incredibly light, easy and fluid read (It’s rare that I read a 300-page-book in 2 days). And it was adorable! Now I’m not the biggest reader of romances, but this was just so sweet!





Okay so basically Maddie is a girl who has SCID - a low immune system which basically makes her ‘allergic’ to everything - practically anything can make her sick. She’s lived in her house all her life and has never really gone outside. 

Until Olly. 

So Olly is adorable as well - he’s a parkour guy, a math genius, and probably has one of the biggest YA-hearts ever. He’s dark and ‘mysterious’ (not really). 

So it’s no surprise that Maddie and Olly fall for each other - it’s a YA contemporary! But one thing I loved is how they’re shown as yin and yang - she is Japanese/African American, and he’s caucasian. She always wears white, and he always wears black. He’s an outdoorsy guy while she’s stuck inside. Yin and Yang and Yes I love it! 

(I just realized this has no structure, but I’m going with it!) 

Maddie loves reading, and studies architecture. She’s quite normal, really. She is funny, witty, slightly rebellious and curious about the world. And Olly tips her world around. 

So Maddie’s relationship with her mom is a huge part of this book - her mom is all she has left, and they spend a lot of time together. Until Olly. 

(Dang it Olly why did you have to go and mess up Maddie like that? Haha just kidding you two are cute ^^)

This book brought good feels, not the feels that leave you just wanting to sit in the rain contemplating life. *Cough Clockwork Princess* 

I really don’t want to say too much in the non-spoilery section. Just go read it! I promise it has a good ending! 

Spoilers start here. I’m usually like ‘yeah just read it if you want’, but now, if you are considering to pick this up, PLEASE STOP HERE! Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 
So their trip to Hawaii - it was rash, and stupid considering her situation, but it was perfect. It wasn’t quite like the trip to Amsterdam from TFIOS, it was really her discovering the world and what it had to offer. She didn’t feel sick (until she had to be hospitalized for a viral infection) and was just... happy. We don’t get a bomb dropped on us about Olly secretly having cancer or whatever. It was just nice! 

The Revelation: 
I was not expecting that Maddie wasn’t sick. The fact that it was all her mom’s psychological condition that ‘made her sick’ was probably the saddest part of the book - it was heart-wrenching when she found out that she was living in a bubble all her life for nothing. 
My only real regret about the book was that this part felt a bit rushed. But it was still amazing, and Yoon was a genius for having that idea. Plot twist like I haven’t seen in a long time! 
END OF SPOILERS! 

So for those of you who skipped the spoilers like you should have, I’m taking half a point away because the ending felt a bit rushed. Happy ending though! :) 

I’m giving this a 4.5/5 feathers! 
Have you read Everything, Everything? What did you think? Let me know! :D 

6 comments:

  1. Yet another book that you've beaten me to reading! I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book, and definitely need to read this asap! My determination has been restored after reading your amazing review ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (like with Rebel, tee hee! ^^) We have such similar interests in books sometimes its crazy!

      Delete
  2. I loved this book too. One of the best books I've read so far this year.l

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Maddie and Olly were such a good pairing! Glad you enjoyed reading this! <3
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss one of my new OTP’s (Uuugh I have so many XD )

      Delete

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this post!
Any and all comments make me smile, and I will reply to all of them!
I can reply in English, French, and sometimes in Dutch and German.
Have an absolutely fabulous day!